FINAL EDIT SENT TO EXAMINING BODIES
This is my Final Edit of my music video. It has been updated to match the previous implications and is edited to the best of my ability. All shots and other information is correctly tuned, such as the Fight Scene, Klara’s Scene, The planning Scene, and other small shots taken to improve snippets of my video. All editing was done on Adobe Premire Pro CS6, with Photoshop being used to manually correct frames in the video, especially when dealing with shots which have VFX included. However, not every video is perfect, and I wish I could address these issues, however I cannot since I need time to finish off the other coursework tasks. Otherwise I am happy for the way my video has turned out.
Things that I didn’t like
- Lighting of Klara’s room could still be better with improvements
- Bullet shells could be better (I could not improve them any further)
- The characters positions shift marginally in some shots, e.g. Fight Scene, Assim’s death scene, Moving Klara into the room
- Wished that I bought a smaller rifle
- I should of shot more shots with Assim included (Character Imbalance)
- The jump-cut where the second and third mercenary walk up the stairwell is INTENTIONAL to speed up footage and match sections correctly.
- Garg falls to floor INTENTIONALLY because he has just been hit in the face rather hard
- The Audience is meant to find out the hostage later on in the film, because I think it is better for the audience to think about who the mercenaries are, and I wanted to have that sense of mystery and wonder when looking at the characters and why they do what they do.
Editing Process + Screenshots
Throughout the Editing process, I have taken screenshots of the timeline and will briefly explain how the desired effect is created using Premier Pro CS6 as my primary video editing program.
There are too many effects and changes applied to the whole sequence, making a full analysis impractical to blog about. However I have chosen the most desired effects of my film and documented how I achieved the looks shown below:
These two screenshots shown above highlights the effect used to change colour correction. I used an effect called Fast Color Corrector, and it allowed me to manually change the hue, white balance, saturation, and the general colour the video was going to look like.
Shown here is an example of the timeline with the project files on the left. This shows that there is an immense amount of work I have spent editing this final film. The amount of video layers in the sequence adds up to 20 layers.
This is how I managed to remove the green backdrop from Daniel. In the Footage, i selected the Ultra Key effect and use it to filter out the majority colour (green) so that other video layers can be fitted underneath, e.g. Animated Backdrop. Using the Green Screen also allowed me to duplicate Daniel’s layers, creating a variety of effect combinations, e.g. Ghosting effect, Radio Distortion effect etc.
This is how I converted the Handwriting custom font into a usable layer. First I reverted the contrast of the original image, leaving only two prominent colours (Black and White). The less dominant colour is removed using the Color Key tool, creating a transparent background for the white text to be visible. After that, the layered image is placed into position and the fade in and out effect was achieved with time-mapping opacity percentage points.
Here is an example of the backdrop I used for Daniel’s Non-Narrative section. I had over 4 minutes of animated footage to be used in the final video, and I selected the most aesthetically appealing animations which related the most closely to the final video and its other product’s themes.
This is an example of the ghosting effect where two or more of the same layers are used to create multiple subjects with the same footage. In this instance, I horizontally flipped one layer in order for them to be back to back. The color differences were beat matched in time to the music and was achieved using the Fast Color Corrector tool, and time-remapping key times where the music would change.
This is a screenshot of how I achieved the Radio Distortion effect. By using the RGB Color Corrector effect, I changed the output to Tonal Range, with the Range being set to Master, and the Gamma and Gain values were set to 1.00. Initially I did not know how to do this but discovered how to do so by tweaking the settings given to me.
Here is the final screenshot, showing the export settings that the video will be exported in. I chose to set the film at 25 frames per second, as it is the British/PAL standard for camcorders/video cameras and allowed me to half 50 frames per second footage with no frame blending issues. The video is exported in the MP4 format, to maximize compatibility across all playback devices.